Monday, January 23, 2017

The Post Almost Finished Novel Blues


      Now that I have almost finished my novel (There will be the inevitable edits to come!) and begin turning my attention to how to get it published, the shock of the real world of the publishing business hits. The first “must,” I am learning is that an author must have a “platform.” Thus this blog. I will have to learn how to draw interest to my blog as so far in its brief life there have been no visitors. Also expected is a Facebook page, twitter, etc., not to mention Youtube videos, etc., etc.
   As I pour through the book, “Guide to Literary Agents 2016” I notice that virtually all publishers will only consider a manuscript that is presented by and represented by a literary agent. Now here’s the rub: Most literary agents only consider manuscripts referred to them by other literary agents, or by the "grapevine" or from meeting authors at literary conferences.
   So, in addition to building this blog, I need to plan on pitching my book to agents at various literary conferences around the country.
   Agents are not only interested in a particular book, but in the author’s future books, the ongoing career of the author and how to brand this into some sort of lucrative franchise.
   I just wanted to write a book. Am I really interested in moving into this crazy world of commercialization in order to get it read? I’m not sure. I wrote it mostly for myself, to please myself, and not to make it marketable. Will I write another novel? I don’t know. Do I need a new career? No. Do I need the money? No. Do I need the recognition? No.
   I’m thinking of directing my writing efforts to a blog on the Great Healthcare Scamming of America. This is a topic that I’ve wanted to expose for many decades. I’m thinking of starting a blog on that subject.
   I’ll send out some queries and see what comes of it. I enjoyed writing the novel. I will miss it when it is truly finished. Maybe I’ve established my writing addiction enough that I will continue writing, whether or not I have any readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment